Reduce COVID-19 Risk with a Workplace Safety Plan
Take Safety Seriously by Using Our Professional Decontamination Services
Property managers and business owners are focused on how the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting regular business operations and causing low building occupancy levels. But, don’t forget the importance of maintaining a consistent cadence of regular and preventative maintenance activities for safe building operations.
Having a workplace safety plan can provide business and building occupants comfort knowing their health and safety is your top priority.
LEARN PROPER SAFETY PROCEDURES TO REDUCE RISK AT YOUR BUSINESS
Reviewing and understanding Federal, Provincial, Municipal, and/or Health Canada guidelines for maintaining a healthy and safe work environment is a critical step to minimizing risk to your business. Proactively taking steps to create and maintain a clean and safe work environment demonstrates that you take the health and safety of your employees and occupants seriously.
Following these steps to produce a comprehensive workplace safety plan can reduce your COVID-19 risk and help you avoid other workplace safety issues resulting from the COVID-related complications of building shutdowns or reduced occupancy.
DEVELOP A COVID-19 WORKPLACE SAFETY PLAN
- Inspect space and develop a plan to maintain social distancing requirements
- Create a plan that allows for flexible work / staggered schedules and maintenance of remote work capabilities to limit building occupancy
- Commit to monitoring and following public health guidelines
- Implement and maintain safe, social distancing practices
- Encourage frequent hand washing
- Provide hand sanitizer stations
- Develop a daily disinfection plan
- Remind employees to stay home if they are sick
HAVE YOUR ENTIRE OFFICE CLEANED AND DECONTAMINATED
- Decontaminate spaces, furnishings, and mechanical systems regularly or before employees return to the workplace
- Deep clean and decontaminate if an employee, tenant or visitor becomes ill or tests positive for COVID-19
PLAN FOR MAINTAINANCE OF SAFE BUILDING OPERATIONS
Buildings with lower-than-usual occupancy levels can start exhibiting issues that can affect the health and safety of occupants, if not addressed. Maintenance should continue, if at least on a reduced schedule, and building managers should:
- Inspect for obvious signs of damage like broken windows or doors
- Check for water leaks and check pipes for cracks or damage
- Inspect for hazards (electrical, mechanical, structural, physical, etc.)
Two hidden risks you should consider are:
- Mould growth – with reduced occupancy and lower indoor heat loads, maintaining relative humidity levels through maintenance of building HVAC systems is critical to avoiding mould growth.
- Bacteria in water systems – lower water demands could lead to sitting and stagnant water, which could lead to the accumulation of bacteria in as little as 3-5 days. Operate and monitor all water systems on a regular basis to ensure safe hygiene. Ensure systems are flushed and cleaned before reopening.
TELL TEAM MEMBERS ABOUT YOUR SAFETY PLAN
Don’t assume your employees or tenants know what steps you’re taking to minimize risk — tell them! Communicating your plan will help provide some needed reassurance that their health and safety is your top priority.
KEEP YOUR WORKSPACE SAFE
Workplace safety during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic continues to be a high priority for businesses. One of the best things you can do as a property manager or business owner is to implement a workplace safety plan. Planning for peace of mind is a wonderful thing.
To ensure your building is ready to reopen, schedule a consultation or reach out to your FIRST ONSITE Account Manager to discuss service options.
Your needs are diverse. We’re a single-source partner restoration company with services, tools, and expertise to cover them all. From enabling business continuity for banks and manufacturing facilities, to ensuring healthcare professionals maintain critical services, to helping homeowners rise above the trauma of property damage, we do it all.
Find out how we apply our breadth of expertise to serve a wide range of industries.
Find out how our leading North American restoration services can help you rise above your challenges.