Please select a country then choose your desired language

Select Country
Select Language

You are selecting to visit our Canada-French brand, Restouration PremiéreAction.  To continue please confirm below.

Visit Restouration PremiéreAction

You are selecting to visit our American-English brand, Interstate Restoration.  To continue please confirm below.

Visit Interstate Restoration

You are selecting to visit our American-Spanish brand, Interstate Restoration.  To continue please confirm below.

Visit Interstate Restoration
Education center

How Fast Can Mould Grow And Become A Problem?

Mould can easily grow within 24 to 48 hours

Unfortunately, mould can be found almost anywhere. However, when mould is present in the indoor environment there is usually moisture present. Mould especially likes to grow where temperatures are 68°F, dim lighting, and very little air circulation. Mould spores are known to travel throughout the air, attach themselves to any damp surface, and then begin breaking down the material as it grows. Therefore, it is vitally important for homeowners to contact a mould remediation company when they have experienced a flood or fire in their home.

How Fast Can Mould Grow?

Surprisingly, mould will start growing immediately after spores are attached to an item. Mould can easily grow within 24 to 48 hours and will begin to colonize in 1 to 12 days. Most times, mould is already a problem before it is discovered. Due to the fact that the spores are hard to destroy, mould will sometimes return even after the mould source is gone. That’s why it is vitally important to contact a mould restoration company for appropriate and permanent remediation.

When Can I Know That Mould May Be Present In My Home?

Homeowners who have experienced certain problems that are known to be favorable to mould will usually have mould present. Mould causing problems include:

  • Fire
  • Flood
  • Plumbing leaks
  • Leaky Roof
  • Swollen floorboards/walls
  • Water stained ceilings

Where Does Indoor Mould Like To Grow?

Indoor mould likes to grow on wet cellulose materials. However, homeowners should keep in mind that mould can still grow even when the moisture problem has been fixed. At this time the mould will go dormant and continue surviving without moisture. Most likely, mould will just continue to feed on materials such as sheetrock, ceiling tiles, wallpaper, carpet, wood, adhesives, paints, upholstery, and fabric.

What Are The Health Effects Due To Mould Exposure?

Mould can be extremely harmful to people. Many of the symptoms related to mould resemble that of a common cold or allergy condition. Therefore, oftentimes the appropriate diagnosis goes undetected. However, most common symptoms that are associated with mould exposure are:

  • Wheezy/coughing
  • Watery/Red Eyes
  • Nasal and sinus congestion
  • Throat irritation
  • Skin irritation
  • Nosebleeds
  • Headaches
  • Extreme fatigue
  • Memory loss
  • Dizziness
  • Fevers

In addition, mould can also cause very serious conditions and can be fatal to infants, seniors, and adults with previously compromised immune systems.

Sign up for Updates